    SubjectRe: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?
    "Eric S. Raymond" <> said:

    > But only for people and programs with root privileges. It all turns
    > then, on whether we want to insist that all software doing hardware
    > probing must have root privileges to function.

    So bind it to a capability.

    > I submit that the answer is "no" -- the right direction, for security
    > and other reasons, is to make *fewer* capabilities dependent on root
    > privileges rather than more, and to reject design approaches that
    > imply creating more suid programs to give ordinary users capabilities
    > that involve only *reading* config information.

    Then create /etc/dmi or /var/log/dmi on boot from an initscript. /proc is a
    nice idea for _process_ information, the other junk in there should go away
    IMVHO. Hard to do as it is now customary. Adding more junk is (a) kernel
    bloat, (b) hard to clean up later.
    Dr. Horst H. von Brand User #22616

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.021 / U:28.224 seconds]