SubjectRe: LSB1.1: /proc/cpuinfo
Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu>:
> It's more than just a name.
> a) granularity. Current "all or nothing" policy in procfs has
> a lot of obvious problems.
> b) tree layout policy (lack thereof, to be precise).
> c) horribly bad layout of many, many files. Any file exported by
> kernel should be treated as user-visible API. As it is, common mentality
> is "it's a common dump; anything goes here". Inconsistent across
> architectures for no good reason, inconsistent across kernel versions,
> just plain stupid, choke-full of buffer overruns...
>
> Fixing these problems will _hurt_. Badly. We have to do it, but it
> won't be fast and it certainly won't happen overnight.

I'm willing to work on this. Is there anywhere I can go to read up on
current proposals before I start coding?

When all government ...in little as in great things... shall be drawn to
Washington as the center of all power; it will render powerless the checks
provided of one government on another, and will become as venal and oppressive
as the government from which we separated." -- Thomas Jefferson, 1821