SubjectRE: Two hdds on one channel - why so slow?
Date
This has always been a really FUN argument

IDE vs. SCSI

BTW, why not add FC-AL or Serial-ATA into the mix, too?

i just wanted to add one thing. you guys are all right so
far, IDE has distinct advantages and so does linux, but you're
missing something :

SCSI is meant for high performance, high reliability systems.
it's not that the SCSI protocol is meant for this, but the
drives are. the drive quality for SCSI drives is MUCH higher
examples :
IBM's flagship 120GXP IDE drive is rated as 1 in 10^13 error rate,
with 40K start/stop cycles and a three year warranty.
IBM's 36Z15 SCSI drive is rated at 1 in 10^16 with 50K cycles
and a FIVE year warranty.

seagate and maxtor have similar differences.

If you're running a production system UNDER LOAD for 24x7 then
you should be using SCSI. there's not really any room for
argument here is there? :)

Dana Lacoste
Ottawa, Canada
(Using SCSI on desktop [silly] and in product [woo-hoo!] :)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.042 / U:0.220 seconds]