Martin Dalecki <dalecki@evision-ventures.com>:

> Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Larry McVoy wrote:
> >
> >>What you didn't do, Linus, is paint a picture which allows development
> >>to scale up.
> >>

> >Actually, I thought I did.
> >
> >Basic premise: development is done by humans.
> >
> >Now, look at how humans work. I don't know _anybody_ who works with
> >hundreds of people. You work with 5-10 people, out of a pool of maybe
> >30-50 people. Agreed?
> >
> Not at all. Please have a look at the ARMY. (A tightly hierarchical
> system...)

And at each level (outside of training) there are usually one supervisor
for 8-15 people. At the lowest - a corpral. next sargent, ...
Though I can accept the lowest defined as a sargent, with an assistant.

And at the top - president, assisted by vice pres over the cabinet. next
level down, Secretary of Defense over Joint Chiefs...