    On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > That's fine with me, but _who_ do I send VM patches to if
    > I can't send them to you ?

    The VM stuff right now seems to be Andrea, Dave or you yourself (right now
    I just wish you would split up your patches like Andrea does, that way I
    can cherry-pick).

    > There is no maintainer for mm/* or kernel/*, it's just you.

    As to kernel/ there are actually maintainers for some sub-areas, the most
    noticeable being Ingo on the scheduler. The rest of kernel/ hasn't ever
    been much of a problem, really.

    The VM is a big issue, of course. And that one isn't likely to go away
    anytime soon as a point of contention. And it's not easy to modularize,
    apart from the obvious pieces (ie "filemap.c" vs the rest).

    You may not believe me when I say so, but I personally _really_ hope your
    rmap patches will work out. I may not have believed in your patches in a
    2.4.x kind of timeframe, but for 2.6.x I'm more optimistic. As to how to
    actually modularize it better to make points of contention smaller, I
    don't know how.

    At the same time, while I can understand your personal pain, I don't think
    most of the problems have been with the VM (maintenance-wise, that is.
    Most of the _technical_ problems really have been with the VM, it's just
    the most complex piece).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.029 / U:83.744 seconds]