On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 03:50:43PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Ah. So being listed in the maintainers list doesn't mean someone is actually
> > a maintainer it makes sense to forward patches to?
>
> Sure it does.
>
> It just doesn't mean that they should send stuff to _me_.
>
> Did you not understand my point about scalability? I can work with a
> limited number of people, and those people can work with _their_ limited
> number of people etc etc.
>
> The MAINTAINERS file is _not_ a list of people I work with on a daily
> basis. In fact, I don't necessarily even recognize the names of all those
> people.

I understand that the sort of careful hierarchy that drives this
process is, by nature, an informal thing. But it would still be nice
if _suggestions_ on how it worked were written down somewhere. When
you've got patches that don't have a clear relevant maintainer, it
would be nice to have something more specific than "post to
linux-kernel and pray someone picks it up" to run with!

--
Daniel Jacobowitz Carnegie Mellon University
MontaVista Software Debian GNU/Linux Developer