    On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 03:50:43PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > Ah. So being listed in the maintainers list doesn't mean someone is actually
    > > a maintainer it makes sense to forward patches to?
    > Sure it does.
    > It just doesn't mean that they should send stuff to _me_.
    > Did you not understand my point about scalability? I can work with a
    > limited number of people, and those people can work with _their_ limited
    > number of people etc etc.
    > The MAINTAINERS file is _not_ a list of people I work with on a daily
    > basis. In fact, I don't necessarily even recognize the names of all those
    > people.

    I understand that the sort of careful hierarchy that drives this
    process is, by nature, an informal thing. But it would still be nice
    if _suggestions_ on how it worked were written down somewhere. When
    you've got patches that don't have a clear relevant maintainer, it
    would be nice to have something more specific than "post to
    linux-kernel and pray someone picks it up" to run with!

    Daniel Jacobowitz Carnegie Mellon University
    MontaVista Software Debian GNU/Linux Developer

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.021 / U:13.772 seconds]