    SubjectRe: Note describing poor dcache utilization under high memory pressure
    Date
    On January 29, 2002 09:39 am, Momchil Velikov wrote:
    > Oliver> you can't actually _share_ the page tables without marking the pages
    > Oliver> themselves readonly.
    >
    > Of course, ptes are made COW, just like now. Which brings up the
    > question how much speedup we'll gain with a code that touches every
    > single pte anyway ?

    It's only touching the ptes on tables that are actually used, so if a parent
    with a massive amount of mapped memory forks a child that only instantiates
    a small portion of it (common situation) then the saving is pretty big.

    Note that I'm not counting on this to be a huge performance win, except in
    the specific case that that is bothering rmap. This is already worth the
    price of admission.

    This code might also be helpful if we want to get into swapping page tables
    at some point, and it can also be pushed in the direction of sharing page
    tables for mmaps. There it could be quite helpful, for example, with glibc.
    (Thanks to Suparna for that observation.)

    --
    Daniel