    SubjectRe: 2.4.18-pre7 slow ... apm problem
    On Mon, 2002-01-28 at 05:14, Alan Cox wrote:
    > Suppose vmware decides to switch between running Linux and its virtualised
    > Windows OS. Can it do this during an interrupt - if so what ensures that
    > vmware isnt switched to after we have done APM idle calls and slowed the
    > CPU right down ?
    >
    > If so then I suspect vmware should be issuing APM cpu busy calls itself

    Do you see a difference between VMware and other processes
    in their susceptibility to this problem? If VMware runs
    slowly because it gets scheduled in while the CPU is idle
    and the apm driver fails to busyize the CPU, won't the same
    thing happen for other processes? If so, then our idle
    handling is fundamentally broken. If not, then what makes
    VMware special?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.040 / U:31.872 seconds]