SubjectRe: [patch] amd athlon cooling on kt266/266a chipset
Date
On Wednesday, 23. January 2002 21:54, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> On Wednesday, 23. January 2002 21:29, Ed Sweetman wrote:
> > >
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Hi Daniel & folks,
> > >
> > > just tried your patch on my (diskless) asus a7v133 (kt133) with 1.2 GHz
> > > Athlon. I normally had 14% base load spend in apmd-idled and a CPU
> > > temp. of 45°C. After getting it to work, I see a base load of around 1%
> > > (mostly spend in artsd), but CPU is only 1°-2° less now :-( I hoped, it
> > > it would be more). Nevertheless, it is a very important patch nowadays
> > > where temperature is the last technical barrier, and energy saving an
> > > economic necessity.
> > >
> > > Many thanks and greetings from Berlin to Trier ;)
> > > Hans-Peter
> >
> > 1-2 degrees is within the sensor's deviation. Either you dont have it
> > working correctly or it doesn't work at all in your case.
>
> It is working somehow, and the 2 degrees are significant in my case,
> because the 45°C is pretty stable in unloaded state with apm enabled. Tmax
> is around 48°C when compiling kde, transcoding divx or the like.
>
> As noted in another message here, I'am going back to apm because it appears
> that vlc became sluggish (& back to 45°C CPU base temp. & ~15% base load
> from apmd-idled, I bet :)

Just testing with ACPI power saving without amd_disconnect. I'm back to
45°C cpuwise, but without 14% background load from apmd. Looks nicer in
gkrellm, but no measurable/noticable difference otherwise. Will stay at
amd unconnected ACPI power savings for now.

Most important: vlc (CVS 0.2.92) is happily working again.

Kernel: linux-2.4.18-pre4+
linux-2.4.18-NFS_ALL.dif (really latest...)
pnpbios.patch_latest
apm-idle-2.diff
btaudio-2.4.17.diff.gz
bttv-0.7.88-2.4.17.diff.gz
imon-0.0.2-2.4.12-hp
00_nanosleep-5.dif
ide.2.4.16.12102001.patch.bz2

Other drivers:
lm_sensors-2.6.2
alsa-driver-0.9.0-beta10

SuSE 7.3 homerolled KDE 2.2.2 NFS diskless setup :-)

> > You also need acpi idle calls, not just apm. now this is just my guess
> > but apm idle calls might either mess things up or be disabled if acpi
> > idle calls are used and disconnecting the cpu... either way you can't
> > have this patch work and apm work at the same time.
>
> I know, and I think Daniel should have noted that one have to disable APM
> to get ACPI power savings work. Would have saved me one reboot..

Cheers,
Hans-Peter

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.225 / U:0.056 seconds]