    SubjectRe: [Ext2-devel] Re: Possible Idea with filesystem buffering.
    "Stephen C. Tweedie" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 05:03:02PM -0200, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > > On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > > Hans Reiser wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Note that writepage() doesn't get used much. Most VM-initiated
    > > > filesystem writeback activity is via try_to_release_page(), which
    > > > has somewhat more vague and flexible semantics.
    > >
    > > We may want to change this though, or at the very least get
    > > rid of the horrible interplay between ->writepage and
    > > try_to_release_page() ...
    >
    > This is actually really important --- writepage on its own cannot
    > distinguish between requests to flush something to disk (eg. msync or
    > fsync), and requests to evict dirty data from memory.
    >
    > This is really important for ext3's data journaling mode --- syncing
    > to disk only requires flushing as far as the journal, but evicting
    > dirty pages requires a full writeback too. That's one place where our
    > traditional VM notion of writepage just isn't quite fine-grained
    > enough.

    And we use currently use PF_MEMALLOC to work out which context
    we're being called from. Sigh.

    I wish I'd taken better notes of all the square pegs which
    ext3 had to push into the kernel's round holes. But there
    were so many :)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.042 / U:0.336 seconds]