SubjectRe: Linux 2.5.3-pre1-aia1
On Tue, Jan 22 2002, Andre Hedrick wrote:

> A CLUE HAS ARRIVED ...

> > > In order to do this you can not issue a sector request larger than an
> > > addressable buffer, since the request walking of the rq->buffer is not
> > > allowed.
> >
> > It's not that it's not allowed, it's that it doesn't work the way you
> > want it. ->buffer is just the first segment, which is 8 sectors max,
> > that much is correct. But nothing prevents your from ending the front
> > of the request and continuing and the drive will never know. Just see
> > task_mulin_intr.
>
> Is this not the effect of stopping the actual IO?

No, not at all. It goes something like this (for multi read, the case
discussed here). Settings for this sample-run are:

- multi mode set to 16 sectors
- request: nr_sectors 24 sectors, current_nr_sectors 8. request is thus
split in 3 parts, we need to partially complete it do finish it.

o ide_do_request, get new active request
o start_request, hand off to ide-disk:do_rw_disk()
o do_rw_disk: setup taskfile, arm interrupt handler, return

[interrupt triggers]

o status is good, we can transfer the 16 sectors the drive expects

o taskfile_input_data for 8 sectors:

nsect = rq->current_nr_sectors;
if (nsect > msect)
nsect = msect;

o call ide_end_request to indicate completion of these 8 sectors.
o calls end_that_request_last to complete the first buffer head
in the request, resetup request for next transfer.

o ide_end_request returns 1, request is not complete.

o taskfile_input_data for 8 sectors.

o call ide_end_request again, still returns 1 (now we have 8 sectors
left in the request)

o now we have transferred the 16 sectors inside the interrupt handler,
since request is not complete rearm interrupt handler and return.

Next time task_mulin_intr is fired, we do the remaining 8 sectors. This
time the drive knows to expect only 8 sectors, since we originally
programmed it for 24 sectors total for this request.

> Then you have to issue another ACB to restart the IO for the next segment?
> The device has to know when to stop sending.

Nope, see the above.

> It may be possible to do this is paging requirement if on a READ(any pio),
> reset or update the rq->buffer prior to reading from the data register.

Yes that's very important, the ordering must be right or we are screwed.

> Now what guarentee will the driver have if a the buffer being a full 8
> sectors before the first read, and if that is not enough for the complete
> segment transaction, then if we reduce the expected transfers size between
> interrupts, it will allow for larger values to be put into the
> sector_count register. This reduction must correspond to the expected and
> required 4k page.

But why? The above scenario works.

> This I can do, and we can move forward.
>
> If the update of the rq->buffer occurrs afterwards, we may face a
> driver--device race w/ an early and missied interrupt asserted.

We don't care about rq->buffer at all. What is important is correct (and
ordered) rq->current_nr_sectors updates so that ide_map_rq returns the
right transfer location.

> This sounds like what "Davide Libenzi" is reporting.
> Not really a losted, but arrived while the rq->buffer is being updated.
> Thus ordering of events are wrong.

It very well could be.

--
Jens Axboe