    SubjectRe: via-rhine timeouts
    On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 01:37:05AM +0100, Urban Widmark wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Justin A wrote:
    >
    > > I've been getting many errors due to timeouts, everything was fine while
    > > I was at home, but here at school it's a major problem:
    >
    > You did get them at home too? (with the same (type of) hardware?)

    (checks his logs) no, first time I got that message was at school.
    (I just found out something, read the end of this email)

    > > Jan 22 18:10:34 bouncybouncy kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit
    > > timed out
    > > Jan 22 18:10:34 bouncybouncy kernel: eth0: Transmit timed out, status
    > > 0000, PHY
    > > status 782d, resetting...
    > >
    > > Jan 22 18:10:34 bouncybouncy kernel: eth0: reset did not complete in 10
    > > ms.
    > >
    > > once it complains about that, it stops working until I reboot.
    >
    > 10ms is a very long time. Normally the hardware resets a lot faster than
    > that, and when it doesn't I suspect it is in some really bad state.
    >
    > You are not the first to report this. And it is a message that could be
    > caused by a lot of things, I guess.

    It only does that after resetting the card over and over again, perhaps
    it tries to reset it again before its ready?

    > But I have finally managed to get these timeouts to happen on my VT6102
    > too (using an evil combination of running a remote Internet Explorer over
    > VNC). I have planned to examine it, but I probably won't get around to
    > that for at least a couple of weeks.
    >
    > Some ideas you could try:
    > + The via-rhine driver at
    > http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
    > (the one in the kernel is almost the same as this one)

    I tried to build that, the compile command it had didn't work, it ended
    up thinking it was compiled for 2.4.13. Probably need to have it include
    /usr/src/linux/include/linux or something.

    > + Move the card to another slot (remove/re-arrange other cards in the box)
    It's built into the motherboard:)

    > + Since it appears to be load related, perhaps it can be hidden by slowing
    > things down (eg add a small udelay() to via_rhine_start_tx)
    >
    > (or you could try to figure out what the driver is doing when these
    > things happen.)
    >
    > /Urban

    I just found this in my old logs:
    Nov 18 19:01:14 bouncybouncy kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
    Nov 18 19:01:14 bouncybouncy kernel: eth0: transmit timed out, Tx_status 00 status 2000 Tx FIFO room 520.

    That was with my old motherboard, and an isa 3c509.

    The 'smart' hubs here have had many problems in the past, I think they
    are still supposed to be replaced soon with normal switches. Could it
    just be that the hub gets confused up and the card resets itself for no
    reason?

    -Justin

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.025 / U:29.644 seconds]