    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.18pre3-ac1
    Daniel Phillips writes:
    > The way I see it, the purpose of lazy page table instantiation is to
    > overcome objections to the reverse pte mapping vm technique that
    > have been expressed in the past, namely the slowdown in dup_mmap
    > inside fork. I.e., if rmap slows down fork then Linus and Davem are
    > going to veto it, as they've done in the past, because they feel
    > that the as-yet-unproven advantages of physically-based vm scanning
    > doesn't outweigh the easily measurable fork overhead. Personally, I
    > think that's debatable, but by eliminating the overhead we eliminate
    > the objection, and as far as I know, it's the only serious
    > objection.

    Will lazy page table instantiation speed up fork(2) without rmap?
    If so, then you've got a problem, because rmap will still be slower
    than non-rmap. Linus will happily grab any speedup and make that the
    new baseline against which new schemes are compared :-)

    Regards,

    Richard....
    Permanent: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au
    Current: rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.024 / U:61.964 seconds]