SubjectRe: Possible Idea with filesystem buffering.
Anton Altaparmakov wrote:

> At 11:31 20/01/02, Hans Reiser wrote:
>
>> In version 4 of reiserfs, our plan is to implement writepage such
>> that it does not write the page but instead pressures the reiser4
>> cache and marks the page as recently accessed. This is Linus's
>> preferred method of doing that.
>

> But why do you want to do your own cache? Any individual fs driver is
> in no position to know the overall demands on the VMM of the currently
> running kernel/user programs/etc.

So the VM system should inform it. The way to do that is to convey a
sense of cache pressure that is in proportion to the size of cache used
by that cache submanager, and then the cache submanager has to react
proportionally.

If every write page is consider a pressure increment, and if the page is
marked accessed, then proportional pressure is achieved.

> As such it is IMHO inefficient and I think it won't actually work due
> to VMM requiring to free specific memory and hence calling writepage
> on that specific memory so it can throw the pages away afterwards but
> in your concept writepage won't result in the page being marked clean
> and the vm has made no progress and you have just created a hole load
> of headaches for the VMM which it can't solve...
>
> The VMM should be the ONLY thing in the kernel that has full control
> of all caches in the system, and certainly all fs caches. Why you are
> putting a second cache layer underneath the VMM is beyond me. It would
> be much better to fix/expand the capabilities of the existing VMM
> which would have the benefit that all fs could benefit not just ReiserFS.

I agree, except that using writepage is what Linus wants, and except for
the DMA bug Rik mentions, it should work. It would be nice if the VM
maintainers were to comment writepage so that other filesystems could
know how to use it (and fix the DMA bug Rik mentions).

Hans

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.120 / U:0.732 seconds]