    SubjectRe: Would anyone be willing to host a second kernel.org site?
    On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Larry McVoy wrote:
    >> Anyone have any ideas of some organization who would be willing to
    >> host a second kernel.org server? Such an organization should expect
    >> around 25 Mbit/s sustained traffic, and up to 40-100 Mbit/s peak
    >> traffic (this one can be adjusted to fit the available resources.)
    >
    >We've priced this lately and I think the cheapest you are looking at is
    >around $6500/month for a 25Mbit connection. That's not a huge amount of
    >money but it's enough that it shows up on people's radar screens as a line
    >item, it's $80K/year, so there would have to be some justification.

    Yep. I still laugh at those who say "bandwidth is free." They've obviously
    never bought anything from UUNet. At any rate, a full DS3 (45mbps) will
    run between 7k and 20k USD per _month_. Last time I checked, kernel.org
    didn't have the funds for 7k/year much less per month.

    Server colocation is a far cheaper solution, but then they have the
    same problems they have now... limited access to the hardware when something
    goes wrong (and it always does.)

    --Ricky

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.023 / U:3.128 seconds]