SubjectRe: Hardwired drivers are going away?
At 01:07 21/01/02, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
>On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> > >If you want to secure your box, why don't you simply put a lock on it and
> > >throw away the key? Really, what might help the paranoid admins in
> this case
> > >is a setting in the kernel which basically disables the ability to load or
> > >unload modules. Of course once set this setting can not been turned with
> > >rebooting the box.
>
> > Er that sounds like just disabling modules in the kernel altogether (kernel
> > compile option exists for this since the beginning of time)... I do that on
> > all servers I control. Not only for security reasons but also because I
> > suspect it produces smaller and probably faster kernels (I haven't tested
> > this in any way, just a guess).
> This is just what the Heads are trying to do away with . There
> will only be module enabled kernels . JimL

Ah! Serves me right for jumping into a thread without reading the previous
posts... I better shut up as I have no idea why this is being done. From my
unknowledgeable point of view it seems daft but there probably are good
reasons... I suppose even non-modular kernels can be modified by the root
user to be exploited, it's just a little bit harder...

Best regards,

Anton

--
"I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/