SubjectRe: rm-ing files with open file descriptors
On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 08:01:00PM +0200, Kai Henningsen wrote:
> christophe.barbe.ml@online.fr (christophe barb?) wrote on 19.01.02 in <20020119145132.GA972@online.fr>:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 05:18:57AM +0100, Andreas Bombe wrote:
> > > Whether that was an intended or accidental feature only someone with
> > > more insight into Unix history can answer. It's that feature that lets
> > > us do live upgrades of distributions without rebooting (executables and
> > > libraries can be replaced without affecting the currently running
> > > processes), at the very least much easier than it would be without this
> > > behaviour.
> >
> > I remember that previous debian release come with a patched kernel to
> > allow live upgrade. It was explained in the FAQ that the patch was
> > required for this purpose.
>
> Complete and utter bullshit. This was never true, and the FAQ never
> claimed this.
>
> > 7.2 Debian claims to be able to update a running program;
> > how is this accomplished?
>
> ... under which was originally explained how running demons would be
> restarted, and later it was also mentioned that replacing in-use files is
> possible under Unix. Nothing more. (Google groups will happily find those
> versions, they were in use from 1996 to 2001 according to the archive.)
>
> > What was in this patch?
>
> The patch only exists in your fantasy.

Ok you are right. I've checked old versions of this FAQ and this patch
only exists in my fantasy.

I take your 'Complete and utter bullshit' comment as a debian compliment
and not as an insult.

Christophe

> MfG Kai
> -

GnuPG FingerPrint: E0F6 FADF 2A5C F072 6AF8 F67A 8F45 2F1E D72C B41E

Ce que l'on conçoit bien s'énonce clairement,
Et les mots pour le dire arrivent aisément.
Nicolas Boileau, L'Art poétique

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.056 / U:1.732 seconds]