SubjectRe: clarification about redhat and vm
Alan Cox wrote:

>>"If redhat doesn't use the -aa VM " was a short form of "if redhat
>>cannot see the goodness of all the bugfixing work that happened between
>>the 2.4.9 VM and any current branch 2.4, and so if they keep shipping
>>2.4.9 VM as the best one for DBMS and critical VM apps like the SAP
>>benchmark".
>>

>The RH VM is totally unrelated to the crap in 2.4.9 vanilla. The SAP comment
>begs a question. 2.4.10 seems to have problems remembering to actually
>do fsync()'s. How much of your SAP benchmark is from fsync's that dont
>happen ? Do you get the same values with 2.4.18-aa ?

Well, basically we checked the thing many times with quite different
kernels.
Our current tests - which show exactly the same results as
2.4.[10,14,15] - run
on the new "official" SuSE kernel 2.4.16. Again, we observe a
performance increase
in high swap situations of about a factor of ten compared to 2.4.[7,9].

IMO, this shows that errors like fsync etc. are _not_ responsible for
the improved
performance.

But of course, we will check the newer kernels as well. I think we
could live with another
factor of ten ...

Best regards
Willi

Willi Nüßer
SAP LinuxLab

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.109 / U:3.492 seconds]