Subject[STATUS 2.5] January 18, 2002
Here is a new and improved list, thanks to all the great feedback I have
received from dozens of people. Again, if there are any inaccuracies,
please let me know and I will do my best to correct it for next week.

For everyone's enjoyment, I have also put an online version, (with
hyperlinks, yeah!) at:
http://people.ne.mediaone.net/boissiere/Status-18-Jan-2002.html

Items in bold are new since last time. Also, to avoid having the list
become too big over time, I have decided that I will only accept items
that can be expected to be merged within the next 6 months (i.e. the
end of June).

Enjoy!

-- Guillaume

Kernel 2.5 status - January 18th, 2002

Features:

o Merged New scheduler for improved scalability (Ingo Molnar, Davide Libenzi)
o Merged Rewrite of the block IO (bio) layer (Jens Axboe)
o Merged New kernel device structure (kdev_t) (Linus Torvalds, etc)
o Merged Initial support for USB 2.0 (David Brownell, Greg Kroah-Hartman,
others)
* Pending IDE layer update (Andre Hedrick)
* Pending Finalize new device naming convention (Linus Torvalds)
o Ready Add User-Mode Linux (UML) (Jeff Dike)
* Ready HDLC (High-level Data Link Control) update (Krzysztof Halasa)
o Ready Add ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) (ALSA team)
o <1 month New kernel build system (kbuild 2.5) (Keith Owens)
o <1 month New kernel config system: CML2 (Eric Raymond)
* Beta Add support for CPU clock/voltage scaling (Erik Mouw, Dave Jones, Russell King,
Arjan van de Ven)
* Beta Serial driver restructure (Russell King)
o Beta New driver API for Wireless Extensions (Jean Tourrilhes)
o Beta New IO scheduler (Jens Axboe)
* Beta NAPI Network interrupt mitigation (Jamal Hadi Salim, Robert Olsson, Alexey
Kuznetsov)
o Beta Add JFS (Journaling FileSystem from IBM) (JFS team)
* Beta Add XFS (A journaling filesystem from SGI) (XFS team)
o Beta New VM with reverse mappings (Rik van Riel)
o Beta Add preempt kernel option (Robert Love)
o Beta Add resheduling points to remove latency (Andrew Morton)
o Beta Build option for Linux Trace Toolkit (LTT) (Karim Yaghmour)
o Beta Better event logging for enterprise systems (evlog team)
o Ongoing Better support of high-end NUMA machines (NUMA team)
o Alpha Add Asynchronous IO (aio) support (Ben LaHaise)
o Alpha Integrate EVMS into kernel (EVMS team)
* Alpha Overhaul PCMCIA support (David Woodhouse, David Hinds)
* Alpha Replace old NTFS driver with NTFS TNG driver (Anton Altaparmakov)
o Started Rewrite of the framebuffer layer (James Simmons)
o Started New driver model & unified device tree (Patrick Mochel)
o Started Rewrite of the console layer (James Simmons)
o Started More complete NetBEUI and 802.2 net stacks (Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo)
o Draft #2 New lightweight library (klibc) (Greg Kroah-Hartman)
o Draft #3 Replace initrd by initramfs (H. Peter Anvin, Al Viro)
o Planning Change all drivers to new driver model (All maintainers)
o Planning Add thrashing control (Rik van Riel)
o Planning Remove all hardwired drivers from kernel (Alan Cox, etc)
o Planning Porting all input devices over to input API (James Simmons)
o Planning Generic parameter/command line interface (Keith Owens)

Cleanups:

* Ready Per network protocol slabcache & sock.h (Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo)
* Beta file.h and INIT_TASK (Benjamin LaHaise)
* Started Per filesystem slabcache & fs.h (Daniel Phillips, Jeff Garzik)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.283 / U:0.296 seconds]