       From: Dan Malek <>
    Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:22:03 -0500

    > Somehow the docs in DMA-mappings.txt say pci_alloc_consistent is allowed from
    > interrupt, but this is a "bad thing" on at least arm and PPC non-cache
    > coherent cpus.

    This isn't unique to PowerPC or ARM, and has nothing to do with allocating
    page tables.

    Yes it is in fact unique to those ports...

    I don't understand how pci_alloc_consistent could ever be claimed to work
    from an interrupt function because it actually allocates pages of memory
    for all architectures. Anytime you call alloc_pages() (or friends) you could
    potentially block or return an error (out of memory) condition.

    If it specifies GFP_ATOMIC, there are no problems from interrupts.
    You will see that every port other than the mentioned two above use
    GFP_ATOMIC in their pci_alloc_consistent implementation, for this very

    The ARM and PPC ports could set __GFP_HIGH in their page table
    allocation calls when invoked via pci_alloc_consistent, and this is
    the change I suggest they make. It is a trivial fix whereas backing
    out this ability to call pci_alloc_consistent from interrupts is not
    a trivial change at all.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.034 / U:1.752 seconds]