SubjectRe: Tulip driver bug in 2.4.17 (fwd)
On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Ben Greear wrote:

> David Lang wrote:
> >>You're screwed :)
> >>
> >>It seems to be a hardware/PCI problem. I replaced 4-port NICS (the DFE-570-TX),
> >>motherboards, cpus, entire chassis...the problem followed the riser cards.
> >>

> > then why does the same card work properly with the old driver? if it's
> > truely a hardware problem then all versions of the driver should fail. if
> > it's possible for one version to work around the problem (or avoid
> > triggering it) then other versions should be able to.
>

> That is interesting. (For me, I had some older, slightly slower systems
> work, while the newer ones failed. I believe I tried older drivers on my
> new hardware, but I'm not sure...) The only excuse I could come up with is
> that the newer drivers/machines could utilize the PCI bus faster and
> that somehow caused the lockup. Because even sysreq didn't work, I can't
> imagine what a driver, buggy or otherwise, could do to lock the system
> like it does...

for me the same machine is rock solid with 2.4.5/8 (driver 0.9.14) but
fails with 2.4.14/17 (driver 0.9.15-pre9)

the failure is not at all traffic related, I have these boxes in
production (only useing 3 of the 4 ports) with no problems at all, but on
a box not connected to any network I can lock it up by just issuing an
ifconfig.

it's possible that it's a PCI problem (if so can we back off the timing to
what worked?), but I would expect the problem to be more variable if that
was the case.

David Lang

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.077 / U:1.092 seconds]