    SubjectRe: Aunt Tillie builds a kernel (was Re: ISA hardware discovery --the elegant solution)
    On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Reid Hekman wrote:

    > On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 04:40, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
    > > Normal users should _never_ have to use
    > > kernel.org trees.
    >
    > Yikes! Sayings about never saying "never" aside... I should think the
    > goal is for everyone to be able to use kernel.org trees with reasonable
    > expectations. I'd like to see the day when distros can include a
    > pristine tree. I don't expect it, and the need for outside trees isn't
    > going away, but I'd like to see kernel.org be the canonical Linux for
    > more production systems, development starts, and non-i386 arch's.

    Slackware has run stock kernels in some releases. Whenever possible I
    prefer to run a stock kernel, since I can then avoid finding out that an
    application isn't portable after all :-( Done that, didn't polish my
    reputation or improve my disposition.

    I would say that very few normal users are running applications so close
    to the cutting edge that they need kernel patches to make them work.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc