SubjectRe: Aunt Tillie builds a kernel (was Re: ISA hardware discovery --the elegant solution)
On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Reid Hekman wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 04:40, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:
> > Normal users should _never_ have to use
> > trees.
> Yikes! Sayings about never saying "never" aside... I should think the
> goal is for everyone to be able to use trees with reasonable
> expectations. I'd like to see the day when distros can include a
> pristine tree. I don't expect it, and the need for outside trees isn't
> going away, but I'd like to see be the canonical Linux for
> more production systems, development starts, and non-i386 arch's.

Slackware has run stock kernels in some releases. Whenever possible I
prefer to run a stock kernel, since I can then avoid finding out that an
application isn't portable after all :-( Done that, didn't polish my
reputation or improve my disposition.

I would say that very few normal users are running applications so close
to the cutting edge that they need kernel patches to make them work.

bill davidsen <>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc