lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2002]   [Jan]   [16]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
SubjectRe: Aunt Tillie builds a kernel (was Re: ISA hardware discovery -- the elegant solution)
Date
From
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr@thyrsus.com> said:

[...]

> It's not that hard. Given Giacomo's table of probes it only took me about
> two days to get it 85% of the way there. The remaining 15% is partly
> issues with rulebase bugs that it exposes, and partly issues with what
> to do about the possibility of ISA hardware that is not directly
> probeable.

Ever heard of "90% done, the remaining 10% will take the other 90% of the
effort"? Just as predicted, a long way back... then comes a two or three
year shakedown to get it reliable enough for real use.
--
Horst von Brand http://counter.li.org # 22616
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:0.076 / U:2.196 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site