SubjectRe: Aunt Tillie builds a kernel (was Re: ISA hardware discovery -- the elegant solution)
"Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com> said:

[...]

> Really??? Have you ever tried this? RedHat provides a directory
> of random patches that won't patch regardless of the order in
> which you attempt patches (based upon date-stamps on patches or
> date-stamps on files). It's like somebody just copied in some
> junk, thinking nobody would ever bother.

rpm(1), particularly "rpm -p" on the SRPM. Or use the kernel-source RPM.

Last time I looked, they carried around patches that weren't applied in the
SRPM.

> Some distributions don't even provide source. They provide
> copies of /usr/src/linux/include/asm and /usr/src/linux/include/linux
> but nothing else. You have to "find" source on the internet.

They are in violation of GPL then. Make it clear to them.

> The "good-ol-days" where you could get 72 floppies from Yggdrasil,
> install Linux, and spend the next 48 hours watching it compile
> are long gone.

What stops you from getting Red Hat, and doing a massive "rpm --rebuild"
today?

> I have never found a distribution that uses modules, in which is
> was even remotely possible to duplicate the kernel supplied.

Why do they then bother to distribute sources?
--
Horst von Brand http://counter.li.org # 22616