SubjectRe: Query about initramfs and modules
On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 08:29:58PM +0100, Andreas Ferber wrote:

> Hmm. AFAICS this also implies that one would have to put /all/ drivers
> for /any/ hardware possibly plugged in at boot time on the initramfs.
> Or will /sbin/hotplug provide the ability to just put requests it
> can't resolve with the modules on the initramfs into some sort of
> queue file, which is read by /sbin/coldplug (or whatever) later on in
> the boot process to load drivers for those from the real root fs?

No, I hadn't thought of doing this. If someone wants to knock out a
patch, I'd be glad to take a look at it.

> > And this allows lots of horrible "boot over NFS" and other network
> > code/hacks in the kernel to be moved out of kernel space, and into
> > userspace, where it really belongs.
>
> Having to put all drivers for all PCI/USB/whatever stuff on the
> initramfs will likely be a problem (regarding disk space) for people
> who need to boot the kernel from a floppy disk without having to
> change disks during boot (think of nfsroot without etherboot).

I agree. It's a lot of drivers (and it's growing.) It will help out
people booting from a hard disk the most (which happen to be the
majority of people :)

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:0.059 / U:8.688 seconds]