SubjectRe: Query about initramfs and modules
On Wed Jan 16, 2002 at 11:56:59AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Followup to: <20020116194121.GC32184@codepoet.org>
> By author: Erik Andersen <andersen@codepoet.org>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > Keep in mind that insmod current needs to incorporate a full ELF
> > interpreter in userspace (and the source code needs to know about
> > all the types of relocations and jump for each arch and for 32
> > and 64 bit ELF. Horrible stuff really. If we could cleanup the
> > kernel's insmod implementation to require merely a syscall
> > passing a filename to the kernel, it would sure make the
> > initramfs smaller and simpler. I believe Rusty made a patch to
> > do this sort of thing....
> >

> Yeah! Let's put all this crap in KERNEL SPACE! *NOT!*

Good point. We surely wouldn't want to have an ELF interpreter
in kernel space. That would be evil!
rm linux/fs/binfmt_elf.c
There, thats better, now userspace can load everything. If we
can figure out how to get userspace loaded....

The kernel already knows how to load ELF files, and _has_ to do
that job to get userspace running anyways. So why not use that
mechanism for modules?

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen http://codepoet-consulting.com/