    SubjectRe: Aunt Tillie builds a kernel (was Re: ISA hardware discovery -- the elegant solution)
    Date

    esr@thyrsus.com said:
    > He hard-compiled in that driver. lsmod(1) can't see it.

    man dmesg.

    Others have asserted that this kind of autoconfigure facility for
    non-technical people isn't necessary.

    I assert that it is actually harmful, and will make their life more
    difficult.

    My father's computer runs Linux. He doesn't need to recompile his kernels
    or do any maintenance - I don't even trust him to run up2date for himself.
    It's all he can manage to dial up and look at a web page so I can grab his
    current IP address out of my logs, log in and do the rest.

    If I get a bug report from him, it's not particularly coherent or useful.
    Yet because he has a kernel binary which is identical to the one used by
    many other more technical users out there, I can often match what he
    complains about with the more useful bugreports in Bugzilla.

    If he (or even I) compiled a custom kernel for him rather than using the
    distro one, I wouldn't have a whelk's chance in a supernova of working out
    WTF he was on about.

    --
    dwmw2