SubjectRe: Problem with ServerWorks CNB20LE and lost interrupts
On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Keith Owens wrote:

> > The "noapic" option should probably get removed -- it was meant as a
> >debugging aid (as many of the "no*" options) at the early days of I/O APIC
> >support, I believe... Now the support is pretty stable.
>
> Intel 440GX chipsets hang during SCSI probe with UP kernels unless you
> use noapic. It works with SMP but many installers use UP kernels.
> Removing noapic will break install on all 440GX machines, there are a
> lot of them out there.

Now, is that a chipset problem or a firmware (MP table) one? If the
former, we should code a workaround triggered by the chipset's PCI ID, so
the I/O APIC path works, otherwise vendors should fix their firmware. For
UP systems a simple possibility is to remove the MP table altogether if
it's too hard to fix -- it is not needed at all.