    SubjectRe: Problem with ServerWorks CNB20LE and lost interrupts
    On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Keith Owens wrote:

    > > The "noapic" option should probably get removed -- it was meant as a
    > >debugging aid (as many of the "no*" options) at the early days of I/O APIC
    > >support, I believe... Now the support is pretty stable.
    > Intel 440GX chipsets hang during SCSI probe with UP kernels unless you
    > use noapic. It works with SMP but many installers use UP kernels.
    > Removing noapic will break install on all 440GX machines, there are a
    > lot of them out there.

    Now, is that a chipset problem or a firmware (MP table) one? If the
    former, we should code a workaround triggered by the chipset's PCI ID, so
    the I/O APIC path works, otherwise vendors should fix their firmware. For
    UP systems a simple possibility is to remove the MP table altogether if
    it's too hard to fix -- it is not needed at all.

    + e-mail:, PGP key available +

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.020 / U:49.284 seconds]