SubjectRe: [RFC] klibc requirements, round 2

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Rob Landley wrote:

> Let's focus on how to separate the volatile parts of initramfs that have to
> stay in the kernel tree, and the non-volatile parts that can talk to the rest
> of the kernel through cleanly defined APIs the kernel must support.
>
> If a section of code can't talk to the kernel through a stable API, it can
> never be moved out of the kernel tree, and there's not too much point in
> moving it out of the kernel proper, really...

The whole fscking point is to _avoid_ special API. System calls. Normal,
usual system calls and nothing else.

And frankly, moving out of the kernel tree is the least of my worries -
if it's a normal userland code it's fine with me.

I don't see any problems with having the first component of image
generated when you build the kernel - as the matter of fact you
want that, since there is no reason to have nfsroot code there if you
don't support NFS, etc.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:0.051 / U:2.892 seconds]