    SubjectRe: Aunt Tillie builds a kernel (was Re: ISA hardware discovery --the elegant solution)

    Marco Colombo wrote:

    >>The main discussion was in kbuild-devel list.
    > Uh, my mailbox hurts just at the thought of even more posting on the suject.

    In kbuild: less people, less traffic, more discussion, less flames

    > Kernel tarballs are for hackers. Marcelo can't test any configuration
    > the autoconfigurator can produce. So basically it means an untested
    > kernel. Running untested kernel isn't a job for Joe User, and never
    > will be.

    Also what are the stable series?

    But you think your distribution test the kernel in all possible
    use? With all possible hardware configuration?
    Autoconfiguration will configure a compile and booting kernel.
    (but on old machine). Neither vendor can assure you that the kernel
    will work for a particolar permutation of hardware, and mainly
    it is indipendent from configuration.

    > Vendors and kernel developers have different goals. That horrible hack
    > that fixes some bug or misbehavior fits fine into a vendor kernel, and
    > has no place in Marcelo's tree; the same for that C++ written, cross OS
    > crap driver for hardware XYZ. Users want it, vendors provide it.
    > Different goals, different targets.

    Change distribution. In Debian/unstable developers and distribution are
    hardly linked!
    Why do you need someone in the 'layer' between developers
    and user?

    > Autoconfiguration is nice. But please move the topic elsewhere.

    Right. Let stop it

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:0.028 / U:18.444 seconds]