SubjectRe: [RFC] klibc requirements, round 2
On Jan 14, 2002  19:26 -0600, Oliver Xymoron wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> > Actually, the whole point of Juan's suggestion was that you _don't_ want
> > to fsck a filesystem that is currently mounted. There is always a
> > potential problem that fsck will change the on-disk data of the filesystem
> > in a way that is not coherent with what the kernel has in-memory, which
> > should force a system reboot before continuing (which most initscripts
> > don't do). For ext2/ext3 this may be relatively safe (data/metadata don't
> > move around much), but reiserfsck cannot (or will not) fsck a mounted
> > filesystem at all.
>
> Interesting point. Modulo any existing LVM brokenness, we can do this with
> a read-only snapshot and pivot_root afterwards. Alternately, a read-only
> /bootsupport or something of the sort which contains *fsck. What we don't
> want is initramfs to get big.

Err, you think putting the necessary LVM tools in initramfs (vgscan,
vgchange, lvcreate, liblvm) will be _smaller_ than e2fsck??? Your
"modulo" is also a very big one - I'd rather trust e2fsck than LVM
in my boot environment any day.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger