    SubjectRe: [RFC] klibc requirements, round 2
    On Jan 14, 2002  19:26 -0600, Oliver Xymoron wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Andreas Dilger wrote:
    > > Actually, the whole point of Juan's suggestion was that you _don't_ want
    > > to fsck a filesystem that is currently mounted. There is always a
    > > potential problem that fsck will change the on-disk data of the filesystem
    > > in a way that is not coherent with what the kernel has in-memory, which
    > > should force a system reboot before continuing (which most initscripts
    > > don't do). For ext2/ext3 this may be relatively safe (data/metadata don't
    > > move around much), but reiserfsck cannot (or will not) fsck a mounted
    > > filesystem at all.
    > Interesting point. Modulo any existing LVM brokenness, we can do this with
    > a read-only snapshot and pivot_root afterwards. Alternately, a read-only
    > /bootsupport or something of the sort which contains *fsck. What we don't
    > want is initramfs to get big.

    Err, you think putting the necessary LVM tools in initramfs (vgscan,
    vgchange, lvcreate, liblvm) will be _smaller_ than e2fsck??? Your
    "modulo" is also a very big one - I'd rather trust e2fsck than LVM
    in my boot environment any day.

    Cheers, Andreas
    Andreas Dilger

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.043 / U:16.524 seconds]