    SubjectRe: Penelope builds a kernel
    On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 02:07:58AM +0000, John Levon wrote:
    > On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 06:39:54PM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
    >
    > > Wrong. She needs to compile a new module for her kernel. What might be
    > > useful is some automagic tool that will find the vendor-provided kernel
    > > source tree and config (which is usually /boot/config-`uname -r`, but
    > > still findable anyhow)
    >
    > autoconf code already exists for this, it's a non-problem.

    Er, why on earth is it 'autoconf' tho? This isn't something that's
    necessaryily a CONFIG_xxx issue, it's a 'compile this for me' issue.

    > Note they must use
    > the config in the header file of the vendor-provided kernel source tree, not
    > /boot/config-`uname -r`

    And why wouldn't the two match? If you're running a vendor-provided
    kernel, /boot/config-`uname -r` should be the config for the
    vendor-provided kernel (and its source tree)...

    > There are two cases:
    >
    > 1) the vendor source tree is installed and set up with the right config -> use header file
    >
    > 2) it's installed and the config has changed. -> use header file

    2) should never happen. I'm not talking about a patch (like said what
    i2c does traditionally), I'm talking about driver.[ch].

    > I don't see a point in ever looking at /boot/config-`uname -r` instead of
    > the source tree, given that we must compile against a tree configured like the
    > eventual running kernel anyway.

    Because they should be the same thing? And why do you mention 'eventual
    running kernel'. There is a running kernel. Compile the module, load
    the module, work. No reboot (or kernel recompile) needed.

    --
    Tom Rini (TR1265)
    http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/