SubjectRe: Penelope builds a kernel
Richard Gooch <rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca>:
> You know, I'm not really interested in whether Melvin or Penelope get
> a root or not, and it's never occurred to me that kernel design should
> be based on that.

The phrase "get a root" is entertainingly ambiguous in this context, is it not?

Storytelling is the most effective form of exposition. It's a way to pull
technical issues out of the realm of abstraction, and help designers
realize that there are (at least potentially) real people involved.

I recommend it. Not just for communicating with others, but for your
own thought experiments in design.

Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what
the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An
armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the
final defense against tyranny.
If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only
the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of
our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to
be among the outlaws.
-- Edward Abbey, "Abbey's Road", 1979

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:18    [W:0.195 / U:0.352 seconds]