    SubjectRe: Aunt Tillie builds a kernel (was Re: ISA hardware discovery -- the elegant solution)
    Alan Cox <>:
    > > Where did your assumption that Melvin has the canned config files to
    > > do that still available come from? More fundamentally: which should
    > > he *have* to have those configs available?
    > Because the GPL says he's entitled to them ?

    You miss my point. Sure he's entitled to them. But why should he
    *have to have them*? They're extra state which, in the presence
    of a proper autoconfigurator, he doesn't need.

    Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and
    include all men capable of bearing arms. [...] To preserve liberty it is
    essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be
    taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.
    -- Senator Richard Henry Lee, 1788, on "militia" in the 2nd Amendment

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.022 / U:71.036 seconds]