SubjectRe: Aunt Tillie builds a kernel (was Re: ISA hardware discovery -- the elegant solution)
On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 03:30:46PM -0500, Justin Carlson wrote:

> From the other side, how does having the ability to probe local hardware
> hurt? It should be cleanly seperable from the classical build process
> for the purists, and helpful to some (I think) significant portion of
> the userbase, particularly those folks who like to test bleeding edge
> stuff on a variety of hardware. I don't really understand the
> resistance to the idea of someone going out and implementing this.

Right, and this is 95% possible even. Doing PCI stuff is rather easy
(since we've got it all mapped out even). The problem is the 100%
point-click-run goal that Eric has.

The original sticking point was doing ISA (and other buses that are
_not_ autodetect friendly in a safe way).

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/