SubjectRe: Aunt Tillie builds a kernel (was Re: ISA hardware discovery -- the elegant solution)
"Eric S. Raymond" wrote:
> Right now, neither lsmod nor the boot time messages necessarily give you that
> information. lsmod only works if the driver is in fact a module. My
> /var/log/dmesg contains no message from the NIC on my motherboard. And
> going from the driver to the config symbol isn't trivial even if you *have*
> the lsmod or dmesg information.

For network cards one needs only to issue the ETHTOOL_GDRVINFO ioctl to
find out what hardware is associated with an ethernet interface.

Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik | Alternate titles for LOTR:
Building 1024 | Fast Times at Uruk-Hai