    SubjectRe: [2.4.17/18pre] VM and swap - it's really unusable
    > I have all along assumed that a well-designed RT application would delegate
    > all these operations to SCHED_OTHER worker processes, probably via shared
    > memory/shared mappings. So in the simplest case, you'd have a SCHED_FIFO
    > task which talks to the hardware, and which has a helper task which reads
    > and writes stuff from and to disk. With sufficient buffering and readahead
    > to cover the worst case IO latencies.

    A real RT task has hard guarantees and to all intents and purposes you may
    deem the system failed if it ever misses one (arguably if you cannot verify
    it will never miss one).

    The stuff we care about is things like DVD players which tangle with
    sockets, pipes, X11, memory allocation, and synchronization between multiple
    hardware devices all running at slightly incorrect clocks.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:3.912 / U:0.044 seconds]