SubjectRe: Hardwired drivers are going away?
> 	a) on some architecures modular code is slower (IIRC, the problem is
> with medium-range calls being faster than far ones and usable only in the
> kernel proper). We probaly want to leave a gap after the .text and remap

Also with TLB mapping sizes (4Mb versus 4K)

> .text of module in there - if I understand the problem that should be
> enough, but that's really a question to folks dealing with these ports (PPC64
> and Itanic?)

For x86 you just need to leave a nice chunk of physical memory that is there
to copy the module text/data into as you insmod them during boot then give
the rest of the pool back to the paging system. This also solves the problem
with "can't be a module because I need 1Mb of linear space" drivers.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.205 / U:8.840 seconds]