SubjectRe: [2.4.17/18pre] VM and swap - it's really unusable

This is getting silly ... feeback like "ll is better than PK", "feels
smooth", "is reponsive", "my kernel
compile is faster than yours", etc. is not getting us any closer to the
"how" of making a better kernel.

What's the goal? How should SMP and NUMA behave? How is success measured?

It would be good to be very clear on the ultimate purpose before making
radical changes. All of
these changes are dancing around some vague concept of
reponsiveness...so define it!

These comments seem to set a better tone for this thread, perhaps we can
concentrate on _useful_ debate
around some well defined goal.

Andrew Morton wrote:

> But we can **make** it useful. I believe that internal preemption is
> the foundation to improve 2.5 kernel latency. But first we need
> consensus that we **want** linux to be a low-latency kernel.
>
> Do we have that?
>
> If we do, then as I've said before, holding a lock for more than N milliseconds
> becomes a bug to be fixed. We can put tools in the hands of testers to
> locate those bugs. Easy.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.313 / U:1.172 seconds]