    SubjectRe: Problem with ServerWorks CNB20LE and lost interrupts
    On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Zwane Mwaikambo wrote:

    > You may have noticed the great deal of "hacks" which people have put into
    > the kernel over the years to get it to work with the imperfect world of
    > hardware. It makes you wonder wether we should waste our time supporting

    Well, I added a few trivial firmware workarounds myself, but the question
    is how much we can obfuscate the kernel before it gets to the point of
    insanity and how much effort one should put in them before deciding it's
    not worth the trouble. One-liners are usually fine, but is anything more
    complex? And I/O APIC routing table bugs are quite hopeless -- you need
    to know the physical layout of traces on a given PCB before even trying to
    do anything useful.

    > broken hardware... Then again if we didn't we'd only run on 0.1% of the
    > boxes out there ;) But... i'm in no way advocating for adding more
    > kludges.

    SMP hardware is mostly targetted to the server market which seems to care
    of Linux due to many customers running it. If they ask vendors for fixes
    or choose another brand (surprisingly enough, there are vendors that can
    get their MP tables right), the vendors will start fixing bugs. If we
    work them around, they will not, as there won't be a reason to.

    The "noapic" option should probably get removed -- it was meant as a
    debugging aid (as many of the "no*" options) at the early days of I/O APIC
    support, I believe... Now the support is pretty stable.