SubjectRe: [RFC] klibc requirements, round 2

On 12 Jan 2002, Juan Quintela wrote:

> Hi
> greg> To summarize, here's a partial list of the programs people want to run:
> greg> - mount

I _really_ doubt it. /init calling mount(2) - sure, but mount(8)?
Not really.

> greg> - hotplug
> greg> - busybox
> greg> - dhcpcd
> greg> - image viewer
> greg> - mkreiserfs
> greg> - partition discovery (currently in the kernel)

Assuming that it moves to userland, which is non-obvious. Going other
way (i.e. clean kernel API for parsing _and_ changing partitioning)
might be better. Current mechanisms for notifying kernel about partition
table changes are really gross.

> greg> - lots of other, existing in kernel code.

nfsroot mounting (socket/sendto/recvfrom/open/close/read/write/malloc/free/

> I still think that fsck at this point will be great. You will
> minimize the need to have the kernel special case for fsck the root fs
> with respect to the rest of fs.

_Kernel_ has no special-casing of that kind.