    SubjectRe: [2.4.17/18pre] VM and swap - it's really unusable
    On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 03:22:08PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
    > I preempt leads to disaster than Linux can't do SMP. Are you saying that's
    > the case?
    >
    > The preempt patch is really "SMP on UP". If pre-empt shows up a problem,

    People keep repeating this, it must feel reassuring.

    /* in kernel mode: does it need a lock? */
    m = next_free_page_from_per_cpu_cache();

    To start, preemptive means that the optimizations for SMP that reduce
    locking by per cpu localization do not work.
    So, as I understand it:
    the preempt patch is really "crappy SMP on UP"
    may be correct. But what you wrote is not.
    Did I miss something? That's not a rhetorical question - I recall
    being wrong before so go ahead and explain what's wrong with my logic.

    > then it's a problem SMP users will see too. If we can't take advantage of
    > the existing SMP locking infrastructure to improve latency and interactive
    > feel on UP machines, than SMP for linux DOES NOT WORK.
    >
    > > All the numbers I've seen show Morton's low latency just works better. Are
    > > there other numbers I should look at.
    >
    > This approach is basically a collection of heuristics. The kernel has been

    One patch makes the numbers look good (sort of)

    One patch does not but "improves feel" and breaks a exceptionally useful
    rule: per cpu data in kernel that is not touched by interrupt code does not
    need to be locked.

    The basic assumption of the preempt trick is that locking for SMP is
    based on the same principles as locking for preemption and that's completely
    false.

    I believe that the preempt path leads inexorably to
    mutex-with-stupid-priority-trick and that would be very unfortunate indeed.
    It's unavoidable because sooner or later someone will find that preempt +
    SCHED_FIFO leads to
    niced app 1 in K mode gets Sem A
    SCHED_FIFO app prempts and blocks on Sem A
    whoops! app 2 in K more preempts niced app 1

    Hey my DVD player has stalled, lets add sem_with_revolting_priority_trick!
    Why the hell is UP Windows XP3 blowing away my Linux box on DVD playing while
    Linux now runs with the grace and speed of IRIX?
    And has anyone fixed all those mysterious hangs caused by the interesting
    interaction of hundreds of preempted semaphores?

    > profiled and everywhere a latency spike was found, a band-aid was put on it
    > (an explicit scheduling point). This doesn't say there aren't other latency
    > spikes, just that with the collection of hardware and software being
    > benchmarked, the latency spikes that were found have each had a band-aid
    > individually applied to them.
    >
    > This isn't a BAD thing. If the benchmarks used to find latency spikes are at
    > all like real-world use, then it helps real-world applications. But of
    > COURSE the benchmarks are going to look good, since tuning the kernel to
    > those benchmarks is the way the patch was developed!
    >
    > The majority of the original low latency scheduling point work is handled
    > automatically by the SMP on UP kernel. You don't NEED to insert scheduling
    > points anywhere you aren't inside a spinlock. So the SMP on UP patch makes
    > most of the explicit scheduling point patch go away, accomplishing the same
    > thing in a less intrusive manner. (Yes, it makes all kernels act like SMP
    > kernels for debugging purposes. But you can turn it off for debugging if you
    > want to, that's just another toggle in the magic sysreq menu. And this isn't
    > entirely a bad thing: applying the enormous UP userbase to the remaining SMP
    > bugs is bound to squeeze out one or two more obscure ones, but those bugs DO
    > exist already on SMP.)

    This is the logic of _every_ variant of "lets put X windows in the kernel
    and let the kernel hackers fix it" . Konquerer crashed when I used it
    yesterday. Let's put it in the kernel too and apply that enormous UP
    userbase to the remaining bugs.