SubjectRe: Q: behaviour of mlockall(MCL_FUTURE) and VM_GROWSDOWN segments
Andrew Morton <akpm@zip.com.au> writes:

> So in this case, the behaviour I would prefer is MCL_FUTURE for
> all vma's *except* the stack. Stack pages should be locked
> only when they are faulted in. Hard call.

There is just one problem: linuxthread stacks are just ordinary mappings
and they are in no way special to the kernel; they aren't VM_GROWSDOWN.
You would need to add a way to the kernel first to tag the linux thread
stacks in a way that is recognizable to mlockall and then do that
from linuxthreads.

I think for the normal stack - real VM_GROWSDOWN segments - mlockall
already does the right thing.

-Andi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.066 / U:0.772 seconds]