SubjectRe: Kernel 2.4.17 gets really slow when handling large files
On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 11:04:59AM +0100, Christiaan Kok wrote:
> Dear people,
>
> I have a problem with kernel 2.4.17 and as far as I have testen all the 2.4.X
> kernels before it. When handling large files, like moving or viewing movies
> (700 Mb) (with mplayer) my system suddenly slows down a lot. This can only be
> repaired by a reboot. hdparm -Tt /dev/hdX values drop from around 25 MB/s to
> around 8 MB/s but DMA is still on (at least that is what hdaprm reports). In
> is a such a state it is imposible to burn cds for instance but networkspeed is
> unharmed.

How slow? Does it always happen when playing large files with mplayer
or only some of the time?

I've run into a similar sounding problem.

Running mplayer, sometimes, perhaps 1 to 50 runs, the system becomes
nearly unresponsive. I can switch virtual desktops in X, via WM,
promptly. Through redraws of the switched-to desktop are slow.

xmms playing music continues to play fine.

rxvt's have about a 4 second response time.

Generally, I can manage rebooting the laptop.

Originally I blamed low-latency patches, and have switch back to
2.4.17 with preempt-patch.

--
Brian Litzinger <brian@worldcontrol.com>

Copyright (c) 2002 By Brian Litzinger, All Rights Reserved