    SubjectRe: [2.4.17/18pre] VM and swap - it's really unusable
    I don't think I made the claim that this was a benchmark -- I certainly
    realize that "make -j bzImage" is not real-world, but it is clearly
    indicative of heavy VM/CPU/context load. Since I don't believe this
    patch is currently in the running for inclusion, I'm just giving general
    feedback to the patch author rather than making a case.

    For instance, "make -j bzImage" reproduced the ext3 bug that Andrew
    found where my other VM-intensive apps did not. I doubt we should keep
    the bug in the kernel because the situation isn't real-world enough.

    But yes, a bug is worse than a behavior flaw, granted.
    --
    Ken.
    brownfld@irridia.com

    On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 04:13:00PM -0500, Mark Hahn wrote:
    | > overall performance seems far lower. For instance, without the patch
    | > the -j build finishes in ~10 minutes (2x933P3/256MB) but with the patch
    |
    | please, PLEASE stop using "make -j"
    | for anything except the fork-bomb that it is.
    | pretending that it's a benchmark, especially one
    | to guide kernel tuning, is a travesty!
    |
    | if you want to simulate VM load, so something sane like
    | boot with mem=32M, or a simple "mmap(lots); mlockall" tool.
    |
    | regards, mark hahn.
    |
    | -
    | To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    | the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    | More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    | Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.608 / U:0.448 seconds]