    SubjectRe: initramfs programs (was [RFC] klibc requirements)
    On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

    > > (Also, some implementations allow for this string to be changed,
    > > some folks have it set to "PenguinPowered" and the likes 8-)
    > Sure, but if you do that you're *asking*, in a very literal way, for
    > your CPU to misidentified. In fact, a major reason for making this
    > string modifiable is due to certain vendors who hard-code CPUID strings
    > in their code.

    Absolutely, no argument from me there.

    > > Asides from the above issues, multiple CPUs have the same
    > > cpuid sometimes, meaning you have to check things like
    > > cache size as well (though most (all?) of these should
    > > end up with the same CONFIG_ option iirc, so this shouldn't
    > > be an issue -- you should check to be sure though)
    > Why -- if it doesn't change anything, all you're doing is making it
    > confusing when the next derivative appears. Remember that we *do* need,
    > as much as possible, to be forward compatible with future CPUs.

    If every combination for a given cpuid translates to the same CONFIG_
    option, fine. I'm just not sure from memory if thats the case or not.
    The various Celeron/PIII's for example, some have SSE, some don't.
    Assuming Intel cpuid xxx translates to CONFIG_PENTIUMIII would break if
    thats the case.

    | Dave Jones.
    | SuSE Labs

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.020 / U:25.004 seconds]