    SubjectRe: notion of a local address [was: Re: ioctl SIOCGIFNETMASK: ip alias bug 2.4.9 and 2.2.19]
    On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 06:47:42PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 08:44:23PM +0400, Andrey Savochkin wrote:
    > > The question was which ip.address in user@[ip.address] should be treated as
    > > local.
    > > My comment was that the only reasonable solution on Linux is to treat this
    > > way addresses explicitly specified in the configuration file.
    > > Postfix may show its guess at the installation time.
    > >
    > > Now the question of recognizing user@[ip.address] as local is a question of a
    > > simple table lookup.
    >
    > It would be at least possible to ask the routing engine via RTM_GETROUTE
    > and checking for RTN_LOCAL if it considers an address local.
    > It won't cover all cases with netfilter rules etc.; but probably be a good
    > enough approximation.

    Well, you need to enlist local addresses, not to verify, so I would suggest
    inspecting `local' routing table.

    But it doesn't help with the other example I provided a couple of messages
    earlier: several MTAs on one system listening on their own IP addresses.
    Some time ago, when I was engaged in system administration activity, almost
    all my mail relays had several MTAs, each in its own chroot environments...

    So, using routing in the post-install script to provide suggestion what
    should be written in the configuration file is very reasonable, probably,
    it's the best guess that the script can make.

    Andrey

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:02    [W:0.021 / U:0.460 seconds]