    SubjectRe: Basic reiserfs question
    Date
    >Mack Stevenson wrote:
    > >
    > > I would like to know whether log replays take place whenever the system
    >is
    > > booted or only after it has been incorrectly shutdown. I occasionaly see
    > > "Warning, log replay (...)" during the boot-up sequence although the
    >system
    > > had been correctly shut down, and I would like to know if I should
    >worry.

    >From: Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com>
    >To: Mack Stevenson <mackstevenson@hotmail.com>
    >CC: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
    >Subject: Re: Basic reiserfs question
    >Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2001 01:50:59 +0400
    >

    >Are you using redhat? Do your shutdown scripts unmount the filesystem only
    >if
    >it is ext2?

    I am using slackware (8.0), and the shutdown script on my system uses:

    # Turn off swap, then unmount local file systems.
    echo "Turning off swap."
    swapoff -a
    echo "Unmounting local file systems."
    # Don't remount UMSDOS root volumes:
    if [ ! "`mount | head -1 | cut -d ' ' -f 5`" = "umsdos" ]; then
    umount -a -r -t nonfs
    echo "Remounting root filesystem read-only."
    mount -n -o remount,ro /
    else
    umount -a -r -t nonfs,noumsdos,nosmbfs
    fi

    # This never hurts:
    sync

    ---

    I guess that's not the probem, then... Actually, whenever I shutdown I never
    see any messages about the unmounting (or the mounting in readonly mode)
    failing, which only adds to my confusion.

    >From: Samium Gromoff <_deepfire@mail.ru>
    >To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
    >CC: mackstevenson@hotmail.com
    >Subject: Re: Basic reiserfs question
    >Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 03:35:49 +0000 (UTC)
    >
    >Actually you see "Warning" only when it is replaying log on
    >fs mounted readonly.

    Yes, that's the warning I see.

    >I wander though why you see it only "occasionally"..
    >Normally it replays log every time and you shouldnt bother.

    Does it? I know next to nothing about these issues, but I thought that I had
    read somewhere that log replays only occurred after a system crashed and
    couldn't be shutdown properly.

    Thank you both,

    Mack S.