    SubjectRe: notion of a local address [was: Re: ioctl SIOCGIFNETMASK: ip alias
    Steve VanDevender:
    > Wietse Venema writes:
    > > If an MTA receives a mail relaying request for user@domain.name
    > > then it would be very useful if Linux could provide the MTA with
    > > the necessary information to distinguish between local subnetworks
    > > and the rest of the world. Requiring the local sysadmin to enumerate
    > > all local subnetwork blocks by hand is not practical.
    >
    > I think you're making a couple of unjustified assumptions here:

    You are making unjustified assumptions:

    If the kernel knows about subnets, then an application should be
    able to find out about them. Whether or not you agree with the
    application's reasons does not matter.

    To close with yet another analogy:

    A musician complained to Mozart that his music was so difficult to
    play. Mozart asked: are these notes on your instrument? The musician
    replied: yes. Mozart said: so play these notes.

    Wietse

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:02    [W:0.024 / U:0.464 seconds]