    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.9-ac6
    Would it not be possible with your scheme to package a closed source driver
    in an open source wrapper driver and then defeat your tainting technique.

    Is it legally possible to copyright a kind of magic number with a copyright
    allowing only it's used in open & public source driver ?

    Christophe

    Le mer, 05 sep 2001 11:57:17, David Schwartz a écrit :

    > > > I just realized two things. One, there's a strong argument
    > that this
    > > > should be an AND, not an OR.
    >
    > > And as all distributions would fail (1) in initial form, all
    > > distributions would result in tainted kernels. Is this the
    > > intent?
    >
    > They wouldn't taint because the kernel signature would match the
    > module
    > signatures. I provided more detail on one possible way this scheme would
    > work and it's not quite as simple as the summary above suggests.
    >
    > Basically, when you compile (or install) the kernel, a random
    > 'signature'
    > goes in. When you compile a module, the signature goes in too. You can
    > then
    > compare the module's signature to the kernel's signature to ensure they
    > were
    > compiled as a unit. Unfortunately, this doesn't ensure that the user has
    > the
    > source.
    >
    > I suppose, if the module source were freely available, then '2'
    > would
    > apply. If you keep it as an OR, then distributions wouldn't taint out of
    > the
    > box unless they included modules whose source distribution was limited. I
    > think this is what you want.
    >
    > DS
    >
    > -
    > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel"
    > in

    Christophe Barbé
    Software Engineer - christophe.barbe@lineo.fr
    Lineo France - Lineo High Availability Group
    42-46, rue Médéric - 92110 Clichy - France
    phone (33).1.41.40.02.12 - fax (33).1.41.40.02.01
    http://www.lineo.com